Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Word of the Day: Ambidextrous

It seems as if this will be the ongoing word of the day trend: a good word will show up approximately every half month. Today is the word "ambidextrous." It can mean "capable of using both hands with equal ease" as we commonly use it, but it can also be used as "unusually skillful; versatile" and "characterized by duplicity; double-dealing." I would call myself ambidextrous in reference to the second definition. I am good at stuff. I play ultimate Frisbee and disc golf; I have participated in basketball, track, cross-country, ballet, gymnastics, and tumbling; I scrapbook, take pictures, have a degree in interior design, am good at drawing, can paint a decent picture, am great with (most) children (there's always one who doesn't like you), and I am a good cook and baker. There's more, but I won't bore you with my life. This just proves my versatility. Other than that, I am not ambidextrous. When I was in junior high one of my teachers told us we would need to learn how to write with our non-dominant hand because our teachers in high school and college would erase what they wrote soon after it was written and we would need to be speedy in case we dropped a pen. I tried to learn to write with my left hand because she scared me. It turns out I didn't need that other hand to write legibly, which is good, because I never quite mastered the skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment