Monday, June 17, 2013

Abstract

Abstract photography is a strange concept. When you think of abstract art, or "art" as I like to call it, you think Jackson Pollock and paint thrown on canvas (which anyone can do) or Piet Mondrain's ridiculous painting of rectangles. Rectangles! I could have done that in kindergarten. I'm serious. All it took was a straight edge and some paint. Neither one of their works take mad artistry skills. If I offend anyone with my comments, I do not defend myself. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so you can like their "artwork" if you so choose. I must dapple in abstractedness, because as an artist, I must take into account other people's possible tastes. It's the same with interior design. If someone wants minimalist, you give them minimalist, even if it's the farthest thing from your personal taste. Abstract photography is a bit more difficult to obtain. You have to take a picture of something using different techniques that cause the picture to become distorted in different ways. You don't want someone to guess immediately what they're looking at; that defeats the whole purpose. Abstract works cause people to think. These photographs may make you wonder what I photographed, how I got that photograph, or what I'm trying to say with the picture. You can skip the last one; I'm not saying anything. My lips are sealed. When I take a picture, it's to take a picture. Though the judges of VASE (Visual Arts Scholastic Event, high school competition) would like to believe there's some sort of creative process going on in my head...








No comments:

Post a Comment