Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mount Spokane in the Spring

Mountains look different in warmer months. Yes, I'm serious. At least, lower elevation mountains do. I'm sure Mount McKinley and Mount Everest look pretty much the same year round. Mount Spokane, however, is only 5880 feet (that is ~ 1792 m for those of you on the metric system) in elevation. The snow does melt during the summer. In fact, it's almost totally gone now, and its big bald head is showing. It didn't jump onto the Rogaine bandwagon in time. Of course my husband and I explored the naked mountain. Not extensively; neither of us cared to hike much that day. It was rather chilly at the summit, sixty-four degrees and windy, but that's the hottest it's been during any of my visits. It looks so sad with all of the stagnant ski lifts. From the pinnacle of the mountain you can see at least 8, probably more, lakes. Pen d'Oreille, Couer d'Alene, Twin, Spirit, Hauser (sorry, they misspelled Doogie's last name), Elokia, Liberty, and Newman were all the ones marked out. That's just on one side. It was fun to find places we've been, too, like the Rocks of Sharon. Tim pointed them out; he's much better with directions than I am. I also liked the cute stone summit house. It'd be a great place for a party, but not for living. Not ever for living. I prefer not being snowed in all winter.























No comments:

Post a Comment