Sunday, February 10, 2013

Atmospheric Perspective

Wow, this is the first time in a month that I have free reign with what to post. Freedom tastes good! I've decided to introduce my readers to the concept of atmospheric perspective. Some of you I am sure have heard of this concept. Artists have been studying it since at least the Renaissance, but I think the idea was formulated even before then. Have you ever stood in a valley surrounded by towering mountains and noticed that the further away the mountains were, the more grey or dusty blue they looked? The detail isn't as clear, and they seem to fade into the sky. This is atmospheric perspective. It helps you define the space and create a sense of depth. All of these images illustrate the point very well. If you're having trouble seeing these tiny photos, I guess you haven't discovered that clicking on them makes them enlarge. If you're already aware of this fact, ignore these last statements. Smarty pants.






No comments:

Post a Comment