Thursday, February 28, 2013

Word of the Day: Tchotchke

From now on I will occasionally post pictures based on the Merriam-Webster Word of the Day, given that the word lends itself to being photographed. Today the word is "tchotchke" For those of you who do not know what \CHACH-kuh\ means, here is the definition: (n): knickknack, trinket. Now Tim and I aren't really knickknack-y people. I've always found them a bit tacky, and Tim couldn't care less about trinkets. We collect shot glasses from places we've traveled to together, but I wouldn't classify those as trinkets since you can use them for something other than a creepy display. However, I do have one item that may be considered as a tchotchke by some. I am 75% Swedish. When I was little, my parents bought me a Dala horse as they did for my siblings. I would call my pony a decoration, a link to my heritage, a piece of art, etc. but people not familiar with the painted wood carving may classify it as a knickknack. Therefore, I present to you my tchotchke for the Word of the Day photo of 2/28/2013. Happy last day of February, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment