Sunday, February 17, 2013

Literal Idioms

I love creating projects for myself. If you simply go out and start taking pictures, you will get a ton of very similar ones over time. I designed this project around one of my pet peeves. People have really begun to butcher the English language lately, and one of the most common indiscretions is the misuse of the word "literally." The other week I was watching The X-Factor with my sister-in-law. One of the groups was an all-girl group, and apparently they were in the bottom. One of the girls said, "We were literally hanging by a thread." I saw no thread and no one hanging. Psych is one of my favorite shows, and in one of the episodes was this exchange. "Juliet: 'Lassiter is literally on fire!' Shawn: ''Literally' as in Michael Jackson in the Pepsi commercial, or as in misuse of the word 'literally'?" I really want to say something along those lines to people sometimes. Here is a little guide to help confused individuals discover the real definition of "literally." I thought of several idioms and applied them in the literal sense. This is not a complete project, so these are the only pictures I have now. You may see more in the future.

Walking in their footsteps
 Cutting the Cheese
 Take it with a grain of salt (or several...)
 A chip on your shoulder
 Bite the bullet

No comments:

Post a Comment