Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cross Process

Cross processing was created on accident as were many new photographic procedures in the beginning of the art. Many artists accidentally confused their chemicals when they worked with different types of film. Cross process was discovered in the days of C-22 and E-4. Several photographers accidentally put the wrong film in the wrong chemicals, and the result was the introduction of unnatural colors and high contrast. We can mimic this in Photoshop nowadays, which is wonderful for people like me who, as I said before, are too poor to own a darkroom. Another benefit of using Photoshop over chemicals is the amount of control. I can choose to make something incredibly cross processed, though I don't suggest it, or I can tone something a little so the effect is barely there. This is true of the photo where one of my sisters is holding an umbrella. I tweaked it a tiny bit just for fun. I've added the original photos on the left side so you can see what exactly the effect produces.








No comments:

Post a Comment