Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Word of the Day: Vapor

Vapor \VAY-per\

DEFINITION

verb
1.   a) to rise or pass off in vapor
      b) to emit vapor
2.   to indulge in bragging, blustering, or idle talk

EXAMPLES

"Andrew spent more time vaporing about his sprint times than actually training, so his teammates were not surprised when he got beaten soundly in all of his events at the next meet.

'The night was clear, and there was a half moon overhead. Their breath vapored in the chilly March air as they watched the black Cadillac drive off.' -From Michael Baron's 2005 novel The Mourning Sexton"

See what I did there? It's like a real dictionary entry! Well, that's because it is a real dictionary entry. This is how Merriam-Webster sent it to me via daily e-mail update. Today I am providing you with TWO word of the day pictures. That's right, I'm spoiling you. Really it's because I wanted to use this one certain photo, but the "vapor" is actually technically "smoke". It is literally smoke on the water, so yay for a Deep Purple reference. The second is actual vapor, but the vapor is really faint and the photo is not as awesome and referenceable as the first. I think I just made up a word. That's what spellcheck says anyway...so here are the glorious photos!



No comments:

Post a Comment